October 05, 2025

Part 10 - God's Appointed Times and His Plan: Why Getting the Calendar Right Matters

Listen to Part 10:

God's Appointed Times and His Plan: Why Getting the Calendar Right Matters

Before bringing this study to its conclusion, I want to come back to something bigger than calendar calculations. Why does any of this matter so much? Why care about Aviv, the New Moon, the difference between a lunar month and the weekly Sabbath, or whether a thirteenth month is sometimes necessary? Because these are not merely interesting dates for people who enjoy studying ancient calendars. They are connected with God's appointed times. Leviticus 23 presents the mo'adim—the appointed times—and tells Israel to proclaim them at their appointed times. The chapter includes the weekly Sabbath and then lays out the annual appointments according to their proper times. These are not dates we invented and then dedicated to God. They are appointments He established.

And when I follow those appointments through Scripture, I begin to see why getting the calendar right matters without making the calendar itself an object of obsession. Again and again, God acts within the pattern He established. Passover begins with an actual historical deliverance. God told Moses when the lamb was to be selected, when it was to be killed, and what Israel was to do with its blood. Then judgment passed through Egypt on that appointed night while those under the blood were spared. Centuries later, the suffering and death of Yeshua took place in the Passover setting, and Paul explicitly identifies Messiah with the Passover sacrifice in 1 Corinthians 5:7. The connection between redemption, blood, deliverance, and Passover is not something we have to manufacture. Scripture gives it to us.

Unleavened Bread continues that story. Israel was not merely spared in Egypt; God brought them out. They left in haste, and the Feast of Unleavened Bread became inseparable from that departure. Later, Paul draws upon the same imagery when he speaks of putting away the old leaven and keeping the feast with sincerity and truth in 1 Corinthians 5:8. There is history here, but there is also instruction. Redemption is not a picture of being forgiven while remaining contentedly enslaved to the old life. God brings His people out.

Then we come to Firstfruits, and the pattern becomes even harder to miss. Israel was commanded to bring the first portion of the harvest before God. Firstfruits meant that the harvest had begun, but it also carried the expectation that more was coming. Paul uses that exact language concerning Yeshua's resurrection: “Messiah the firstfruits; afterward they that are Messiah's at his coming” (1 Corinthians 15:23). Yeshua's resurrection is therefore not presented merely as an isolated victory over death. He is the firstfruits of a resurrection harvest still to come. The agricultural imagery of the appointed time becomes part of the apostolic explanation of resurrection itself.

From Firstfruits, Leviticus 23 commands the counting of seven complete weeks, bringing us to Shavuot. Acts 2 then opens by telling us that when the day of Shavuot had fully come, the disciples were together and the Spirit was poured out. That detail matters to me because Acts actually identifies the appointed time on which the event occurred. We are not simply looking backward centuries later and trying to assign a feast to an unrelated event. Scripture itself tells us when it happened.

There is also a beautiful connection often made between Shavuot and Sinai. Israel reaches Sinai in the third month; there is fire, the voice of God, and covenant. Acts 2 contains its own extraordinary manifestations as the Spirit is poured out and people hear the mighty works of God. I think those parallels are worth considering, but I also want to maintain the same standard here that I have tried to maintain throughout this entire study. Torah never explicitly says that Shavuot was instituted as the anniversary of the giving of Torah at Sinai. The chronology places Sinai in the general period, and the connection may be meaningful, but that is different from Scripture explicitly telling us that the events of Acts 2 occurred at Shavuot. I don't want to blur the difference between what the text states and what a pattern may suggest simply because I happen to like the pattern.

After Shavuot there is a substantial seasonal gap before the appointments of the seventh month: Yom Teruah, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot. Many believers have seen significance in that arrangement, connecting the spring appointments particularly with events already accomplished through Yeshua and the later appointments with things still ahead. I believe there is good reason to pay attention to that pattern, but once again I do not want prophetic interpretation to become an explicit statement Scripture never actually makes.

Yom Teruah is a good example. Torah emphasizes the teruah—the blowing or sounding—but gives considerably less explanation for the day than we receive for some of the other appointments. Elsewhere in Scripture, trumpet and shofar blasts summon, warn, announce, gather, accompany battle, and proclaim extraordinary events. The apostolic writings also use trumpet imagery in connection with resurrection and the coming of Yeshua. Paul speaks of the trumpet sounding and the dead being raised in 1 Corinthians 15:52. That does not give me permission to declare that Scripture explicitly says Yeshua will return on Yom Teruah. It does, however, give us a powerful biblical pattern involving sounding, gathering, resurrection, kingship, and Messiah. I can appreciate that pattern without turning it into a date-setting doctrine.

Yom Kippur brings us into the imagery of atonement, cleansing, repentance, blood, and the high priest entering the Most Holy Place. Hebrews later draws extensively upon the sanctuary, priesthood, blood, and atonement to explain Yeshua's priestly work. Again, I do not need to insist that every future event people associate with Yom Kippur must occur on that exact calendar date in order to recognize how deeply the appointed time teaches about God's dealing with sin and cleansing His people.

Then comes Sukkot. Israel was commanded to dwell in booths so that future generations would remember how God caused their ancestors to dwell when He brought them out of Egypt. Sukkot therefore looks backward, but Scripture also allows us to look forward. Zechariah 14 explicitly describes a future setting in which the surviving nations go up to worship the King and keep Sukkot. That is especially significant to me because here we are not merely constructing a prophetic parallel. The prophet actually places Sukkot in the future.

Yeshua Himself also went to Sukkot. John 7 places Him in Jerusalem during the feast, and in that setting He cried out concerning living water, which John explains in relation to the Spirit. Once again, an appointed time becomes the setting in which Yeshua reveals something about Himself and God's work. There is also a beautiful possibility that His birth may have been connected with Sukkot, particularly because John's language about the Word becoming flesh and “dwelling” among us carries tabernacle imagery. But Scripture never gives us a verse saying Yeshua was born on Sukkot, so I will not present that possibility as established fact. It is another place where I am content to say, “This is worth considering,” without turning “worth considering” into “Thus says Scripture.”

When I stand back and look at all of this together, the appointed times tell an extraordinary story. Passover speaks of redemption through blood. Unleavened Bread carries the picture of leaving bondage and putting away the old leaven. Firstfruits speaks of resurrection and the harvest still to come. Shavuot brings harvest and the outpouring of the Spirit. Yom Teruah gives us the imagery of sounding, announcement, awakening, and gathering. Yom Kippur brings atonement, cleansing, repentance, and judgment. Sukkot brings harvest, rejoicing, the King, and God dwelling with His people. Some of those connections are stated more explicitly than others, and I want to preserve those distinctions, but together they show why I cannot regard God's calendar as a meaningless collection of ancient dates.

This is also why studying the calendar has actually made me more cautious rather than less. I don't want Rome deciding God's appointments for me simply because a civil calendar became dominant. I don't want later religious tradition automatically treated as though every detail came directly from Sinai. But neither do I want to reject one tradition only to replace it with a modern reconstruction and then give that reconstruction the authority of Torah. If these really are God's appointed times, then the question that matters is not which calendar looks most elegant to me. The question is what Scripture actually establishes.

That is where the 360-day question belongs in this discussion as well. I am willing to consider that the year was once literally 360 days. I believe the Flood chronology is significant, and I believe the extraordinary sign given to Hezekiah deserves to be considered in that larger picture. I am also willing to consider that the prophetic 360-day pattern may point toward a future restoration in which the heavens operate differently than they presently do. I do not have to abandon those conclusions merely because Scripture does not give us every astronomical mechanism involved.

But I also cannot take a possible earlier or future heavenly order and impose it upon the heavens we presently live under. If God restores a perfectly synchronized 360-day year in the future, the calendrical consequences could be very different. The need for intercalation could disappear. But today we live with lunar months that do not remain synchronized with the present solar year without correction. That is why I can take the possibility of an earlier and future 360-day year seriously while still recognizing the present need for a thirteenth month when necessary. An earlier calendar, a present calendar, and a future restored order do not have to be astronomically identical for God to remain the One governing all three.

None of that changes the weekly command, and this is where Leviticus 23 becomes especially important to me. The chapter places the weekly Sabbath alongside the annual appointed times, but it does not identify all of them in the same manner. The Sabbath is given through the recurring sequence of six days followed by the seventh. Passover is identified by the fourteenth day of the first month. Unleavened Bread begins on the fifteenth. Yom Teruah comes on the first day of the seventh month, Yom Kippur on the tenth, and Sukkot on the fifteenth. The annual appointments are attached to dates within months. The weekly Sabbath is attached to the seven-day sequence. If God intended me to identify the weekly Sabbath as the eighth, fifteenth, twenty-second, and twenty-ninth of every lunar month, Leviticus 23 would have been an extraordinarily natural place to say so. It doesn't.

That brings me to why I do not keep the lunar Sabbath. It is not because I believe the moon is irrelevant. This entire study should make clear that I believe exactly the opposite. It is not because I assume every feature of the modern fixed Jewish calendar came directly from Moses. It did not. It is not because I believe calendar history is simple. It isn't. It is not because “Saturday has always been Saturday” answers every question, and it is certainly not because obedience to God should always be convenient.

I do not keep the lunar Sabbath because after examining its central claims, I still cannot find the command that tells me to stop God's seven-day count at the New Moon and begin it again.

That matters because this is not merely an interesting disagreement about ancient astronomy. Calendars affect real people. They affect when we work, when we rest, when we gather, and sometimes whether believers will even fellowship with one another. I have personally heard people who keep a lunar Sabbath acknowledge how difficult a rotating Sabbath can make ordinary employment. That difficulty does not prove them wrong. If God commands something, inconvenience is no argument against obedience. But the reverse matters just as much: before we tell someone that they must leave a job, rearrange their family life, separate from other believers, or regard another Sabbath keeper as disobedient, we need to be certain that the burden we are placing upon them actually comes from Scripture.

I am willing to investigate patterns. I am willing to reconsider traditions. I am willing to admit that something I have always assumed may be wrong. That is part of why I took this question seriously in the first place. But I cannot give an inferred calendar reconstruction the authority of a commandment simply because its mathematics look beautiful or because it appears to solve a historical problem.

After Creation, the manna, Torah, David and Jonathan, the New Moons, the prophets, the priestly courses, Yeshua, the Second Temple period, the thirteenth month, the ancient calendars, Hezekiah, and the 360-day pattern, I keep coming back to the same distinction that has followed us through this entire study: the moon matters to the biblical calendar, but “the moon matters” and “the moon resets the weekly Sabbath” are not the same claim. I can find the first throughout Scripture, but I cannot find the second.

And that is enough for me not to make the lunar Sabbath my practice or a test of fellowship with someone else. I would rather stand on the command I can actually read: six days of work followed by the seventh-day Sabbath, while allowing the New Moon to mark what Scripture gives it to mark and the appointed times to remain where God placed them. These are not our appointments to redesign. They are His.

That, ultimately, is why the calendar matters to me. I am not trying to produce the most mathematically satisfying system or recover a heavenly order that may no longer presently exist. I want to recognize the appointments God actually gave, distinguish His commands from our reconstructions, and leave room for Him to restore whatever He chooses when He changes the heavens again. God has kept His appointments before, and I believe He will keep them again. When the appointed time comes, Yeshua will not be late.