Listen to Part 7:
Hezekiah and the Calendar: How Much Can We Actually Establish?
Imagine Jerusalem in the days of Hezekiah. The king is dying. Isaiah the prophet has entered the royal house with a devastating word: set your house in order, because you are going to die. Hezekiah turns his face toward the wall and weeps before God. Then, before Isaiah has even left the palace courtyard, the word of God comes again. Hezekiah's prayer has been heard, his tears have been seen, and fifteen years will be added to his life.
But Hezekiah asks for a sign. Isaiah offers something involving the shadow upon the steps of Ahaz. The shadow can advance ten steps, or it can move backward. Hezekiah immediately understands which would be more extraordinary.
“It would be easy for the shadow to go down ten degrees. No, but let the shadow go backward ten degrees.”—2 Kings 20:10, TS2009
Then something happens that should arrest our attention.
“And Yeshayahu the prophet cried out to יהוה, and He brought the shadow ten degrees backward, by which it had gone down on the sundial of Ahaz.”—2 Kings 20:11, TS2009
Isaiah records the same sign, describing the shadow cast by the sun moving backward over the ten steps it had already descended. Whatever physical mechanism God employed, Scripture presents this as an extraordinary event involving the normal progression of the sun's shadow.
In Part Six, I explained why I believe the biblical evidence points toward an earlier 360-day year and why I believe the sign given to Hezekiah may be connected with the change that eventually resulted in the calendrical conditions we experience today. I do not want to repeat that entire case here. Instead, I want to look more closely at the connection itself. How much can we actually establish? And just as importantly, how much of the explanation comes from Scripture, and how much comes from our attempt to reconstruct what may have happened?
That distinction matters because I do not want to weaken the Hezekiah connection, but neither do I want to make it depend upon an argument that Scripture itself does not require.
One calculation sometimes presented in connection with Hezekiah's sign attempts to explain the transition from a 360-day year to something approaching the present 365-day year. The reasoning begins with a 360-degree circle. If those 360 degrees are divided across twelve daylight hours, the result is thirty degrees per hour. Ten degrees would therefore represent approximately twenty minutes. If those twenty minutes are then multiplied across a 360-day year, they total 7,200 minutes, or 120 hours, five days. Add those five days to 360, and the result is 365.
I understand why this calculation attracts attention. The correspondence is striking. We begin with the 360-day pattern we have already encountered in Scripture, move to Hezekiah's ten-step reversal, and arrive remarkably close to the length of the present year. It appears to provide the missing mathematical bridge between the earlier biblical pattern and the heavens we presently observe.
But there is a problem, and it is not really with the arithmetic. The problem is with the assumptions that have to be made before the arithmetic can be applied.
Scripture tells us that the shadow moved backward ten steps, with some translations rendering the measurement as degrees. It does not describe the exact construction of the steps of Ahaz. It does not tell us that those ten steps represented precisely ten degrees of a modern geometrical circle, and it does not tell us that the movement corresponded to exactly twenty minutes of modern clock time. Most importantly, Scripture never says that whatever happened during the sign permanently added twenty minutes to every subsequent day. That final assumption is necessary before there is anything to multiply by 360.
For that reason, I would not present the twenty-minutes-times-360 calculation as proof that Hezekiah's sign changed the length of the year. The arithmetic works once its assumptions are accepted, but Scripture does not establish those assumptions for us.
That does not mean I reject the larger connection. In fact, I think it is important not to swing from one extreme to the other. Showing that a particular mathematical reconstruction cannot prove exactly how the year changed is very different from saying that nothing significant happened to the heavens at Hezekiah's sign.
Scripture repeatedly records extraordinary events involving the created order without giving us a scientific explanation of their mechanics. At the Flood, the fountains of the great deep break open and the windows of the heavens are opened. In Joshua's day, Scripture describes the sun standing still and the moon stopping while Israel fights. In Hezekiah's day, the shadow moves backward. The prophets later describe the heavens trembling and being rolled like a scroll. God tells us what He did without always telling us how the physical processes worked.
That is how I believe we should approach Hezekiah. The text gives us the miracle. It does not give us the equations.
My own conviction therefore remains where it was in Part Six. I believe the 360-day pattern preserved in Scripture reflects an earlier physical order, and I believe Hezekiah's sign may be connected with the change that ultimately resulted in the calendrical conditions beneath which we now live. I simply do not believe we need the twenty-minute calculation to make that possibility meaningful.
Ancient calendar history gives us another piece of the puzzle. Civilizations in the ancient world really did employ 360-day calendrical schemes. Finegan discusses calendars organized around twelve thirty-day months, and Egypt famously used a civil calendar consisting of twelve thirty-day months followed by five additional days. The numbers 360 and 365 therefore genuinely belong to ancient calendrical history; they are not numbers invented by modern biblical-calendar researchers.
What ancient calendars cannot tell us by themselves is why those systems existed. A 360-day system is mathematically convenient because 360 divides easily into many smaller units. But it is also reasonable to ask whether the persistence of 360-day schemes could preserve something about an earlier astronomical order. When I place that evidence beside the Flood chronology and the later prophetic 360-day framework, I believe the possibility deserves serious consideration.
Still, I would be careful with a broader claim sometimes attached to the Hezekiah theory—that civilizations throughout the world all changed their calendars at approximately the same time because the astronomical year suddenly changed during Hezekiah's reign. There is genuine evidence for ancient 360-day calendar systems, but there is also evidence that some ancient societies were already accounting for a year longer than 360 days before Hezekiah. So I would not tell readers that secular calendar history has independently proved a worldwide transition from an exact 360-day astronomical year to a 365-day year during Hezekiah's lifetime. The evidence does not take us that far.
That does not undo the biblical pattern. It simply keeps the historical evidence in its proper place. Scripture gives us the 360-day framework. Scripture gives us Hezekiah's extraordinary sign. The present heavens give us a year of approximately 365¼ days. I believe those pieces may be connected. What neither Scripture nor ancient calendar tables give us is a technical record explaining exactly how the transition occurred.
There is another event during Hezekiah's lifetime that can easily become tangled with this discussion. Second Chronicles 30 records Hezekiah's great Passover celebration taking place in the second month rather than the first. Because we are already investigating calendrical changes during Hezekiah's reign, it would be tempting to see that second-month Passover as further evidence of a changed calendar or the introduction of an additional month.
But Scripture itself tells us why the Passover was observed in the second month:
“For they were unable to perform it at the proper time, because not enough of the priests had set themselves apart, and the people had not gathered at Yerushalayim.”—2 Chronicles 30:3, TS2009
This is not evidence that Hezekiah introduced a thirteenth month. It concerns a different provision entirely. Numbers 9 already provides for a second Passover for those unable to observe Passover at its proper time. Second Chronicles 30 therefore should not be used as evidence for intercalation or an astronomical change.
I actually find that helpful because it reminds us that we do not need to make every unusual event in Hezekiah's reign support the same conclusion. When an appointed observance is shifted to another month, Scripture is perfectly capable of telling us what happened and why. The backward movement of the shadow is extraordinary enough without asking unrelated passages to carry an argument they were never intended to carry.
That brings us to a harder question: Was there a thirteenth month before Hezekiah?
This is one of those places where I do not believe Scripture allows us to manufacture certainty. The Flood chronology fits beautifully within a twelve-month, thirty-day structure and a 360-day year. Later Israelite calendrical realities fit a lunisolar system in which an additional month becomes necessary from time to time. But Scripture does not give us a verse announcing that beginning in Hezekiah's reign Israel must add a thirteenth month because the heavenly cycles have changed.
Neither do I believe Scripture gives us enough information simply to declare that intercalation could never have occurred before Hezekiah. We have to distinguish what the evidence suggests from what the text explicitly tells us. The bridge between an earlier 360-day year, Hezekiah's sign, and the later need for a thirteenth month is reconstructed from the larger pattern. It is not written out for us as a calendar regulation.
For me, acknowledging that boundary does not destroy the connection. It actually helps me know what kind of claim I am making. I can say, “Scripture records the shadow moving backward.” I can say, “Scripture preserves a 360-day pattern.” I can say, “The present heavens operate according to cycles that require intercalation.” And then I can say, “I believe these things are connected.” What I should not do is turn that final conclusion into a quotation from Scripture as though God had explained the astronomical transition directly.
That is where I am comfortable leaving the Hezekiah question. I believe the earlier 360-day pattern and Hezekiah's extraordinary sign belong in the same conversation, and I believe the sign may be connected with the calendrical conditions under which we now live. But I do not need an uncertain twenty-minute calculation, the second-month Passover, or an unproven chronological reconstruction to make that case stronger than Scripture allows. The biblical account gives us something extraordinary enough on its own: God caused the normal progression of the shadow to reverse, and that event stands between the earlier 360-day pattern I believe reflects the original order and the heavenly cycles we observe today.
What we can establish under the present heavens is much more concrete. Twelve lunar months do not remain aligned with the seasonal year, while Torah requires the appointed times to remain connected with their proper season. That creates a real need for intercalation without telling us that every later method of intercalation came from Sinai. It also leaves the weekly Sabbath question untouched. A change in the relationship between months and years does not establish a change in the recurring seven-day sequence.
So I can take the Hezekiah connection seriously without claiming more than the evidence gives me. The year may have changed; I believe there is good reason to think that it did. But the question of how Israel determined when an additional month was necessary must be answered from its own biblical and historical evidence, just as the Sabbath question had to be answered from its own evidence.
Next: Part Eight — Aviv, Intercalation, and the Fixed Jewish Calendar: How Was the Thirteenth Month Determined?
